Monday, August 10, 2009

Real Beauty Advice: Reviews For The Confused Consumer.

Last Saturday, I was in a "Wholefoods Market" in Berkeley CA where I live, browsing in the "Whole Body" section where I was in search of a new sunblock. I must have some mystical aura around me that says "I used to work with beauty products", because I am not joking when I tell you that almost every time I am near any kind of cosmetic, someone will ask me for advice, or think that I work at the place that I am shopping. It never ceases to amaze me. It's as if I have some cosmic branding if you will. Invariably, I will engage this uneducated individual out of sympathy, and send them home with the products they need. Do I make a commission? No, but I should considering there is almost never a sales person around to help these poor lost lambs when they need it, and if there is... said sales person does not know anything about the products they are selling. I am sorry folks, but unless they have a license in Esthetics, they are just sales people being helpful.

This is when I had an epiphany... of sorts.

If I can create a blog that answers real questions about beauty products based on my experience with them, and can show people that understanding skin/body/make-up is not rocket science (most of the time), then they can feel empowered to shop with confidence.

To explain a little about me:
I am a retired Esthetician, turned accountant, who after about 8 years in the beauty/massage/spa world opted for a job with health care and dental plan. Sell out? Maybe, I do miss that world, but I also still keep my license valid, so that I can always go back to it when I am ready. I have been/will be a devoted user of cosmetic products, for hair, skin, nails, and beyond (more on that later). Since the first time that I carefully wound my grandmothers hair around an impossibly tiny perm rod, (I was about 8) to the last time I waxed a pals eyebrows before her job interview, I am a dedicated follower and user of beauty knowledge. I have read books, gone to institutes, attended seminars, been told the truth, and been lied to. But that is in the past. I no longer desire to have a 15 year old girl with $50 eye cream come up to me and ask if she thought that it would be strong enough for her. I no longer want a grown woman to ask me if they thought it was ok to use "Clean and Clear" toner. I feel that the beauty industry is much like the diet industry in the way that it bombards us with advertisement and confuses us with misinformation. My aim is to debunk the myths, and to deliver some sound advice about basic skin care for all ages, and skin "types". Who knows, perhaps I will write a book about all of this when I am done, but I had to start somewhere.

I suppose I should start by posting my first review. Here goes!


Suki Moisture Rich Cleansing Lotion

This is a light and creamy gentle cleanser for everyday use. It is for" normal", combination, dry and mature skin types. It features botanical ingredients such as organic lemon, organic sage and organic lavender. It boasts that it is good for solving"signs of aging, dryness and environmental oxidation"

What it is actually good for: Removing dirt, leaving your skin feeling moisturized, smelling amazing.
average price:$26.95 for 4.0 fl. ounces

I reviewed this product for many reasons.

1.) I have used it.
2.) I think investing in a decent cleanser is one of the most important things you can do for your face. (besides protecting it form the sun)
3.) It smells lovely, and this will make you look forward to washing your face everyday.
4.) it removes make-up really well without leaving you feeling stripped of all precious moisture, but also does not leave you greasy.
5.) Unless you have visibly flaky skin, you wont have to use a heavy moisturizer after it.
6.)It is really suitable for any skin type. They say it is for "normal" skin, but anyone with sensitive (this also means acne) skin can use this.
7.) It comes in a glass container with a pump. I prefer this type of container for two reasons: one being that plastic is easily broken down, and I have seen essential oils virtually eat through plastic containers because they are made of .. guess what... petroleum. The other reason is because the glass help to protect the product, and prevents the oils form breaking down as quickly because essential oils do change over time.
8.) The company uses really good ingredients. Not a cheap filler or questionable preservative in sight. Just really fine, and effective ingredients.
9.) Washing your face every night before bed is a wonderful way for your skin to bounce back from all of the environmental pollutants, and bacteria it is exposed to every day (unless you live in a bubble). This product contains wonderful botanical extracts that will gently soothe you off to sleep, yet it has a citrus note that is uplifting as well.
10.) Suki has an environmental policy that is sound.

http://www.sukipure.com/v2/pages/environmental+policy


























































No comments:

Post a Comment